Global Mizzou Service Programs typically include the following for a total of 3–6 credits (see each program option for specific academic credit available):
- Pre-Departure Orientation and Cultural Studies: Participants will explore the history, culture and society of the host country, learning about the challenges and opportunities that they may encounter while abroad. Students meet for several weeks in seminars prior to departure.
- International Service: Culturally immersive experience abroad working closely with host community members to help meet community-identified needs.
The main objective of these courses are to promote service-learning through direct contact, classes, discussions, reflections, and projects while living and serving abroad. Academic coursework will emphasize the development of critical thinking while engaging in reflection and group dialogue.
You will be enrolled in actual MU courses and are guaranteed to receive MU credit for successfully completed courses; however, you must work with your academic adviser(s) to obtain pre-approval to learn how courses might fulfill your degree requirements. Grades earned in courses will be calculated into students’ MU GPAs and appear on your MU transcripts when grades are recorded by the faculty program director.
Global Mizzou Service Programs are open to all MU students who:
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Are in good academic and judicial standing
- Have completed at least one semester at MU (some exceptions apply – visit each program’s website for more information).
If you are mature and self-motivated and can demonstrate initiative, flexibility, and adaptability, you are encouraged to apply. Participants are selected based on the quality of their written applications.
- Review the International Center website to learn about options and specifics about each program.
- Meet with your Global Mizzou Service advisor to discuss your options and ask all your questions.
- Apply to the program by the application deadlines.